Wednesday, 27 August 2008

18 years ago

18 years ago my Grandad, my dads dad, died in hospital after a long illness. I'm afraid i never got to met him or experience any sadness at his time of death. I wish i had got the chance to meet him though. He lived a long life though.

What a match though tonight. I turned up at the village inn alone to watch the second half of the match. I was alone but it's what one has to do then you terminate sky sports in your own house. Newcastle were 2-0 up. What could go wrong?

Immediately things did upon my arrival. Whilst waiting for a drink and as i turned to the old mogul barmaid for a glass of rose coventry scored. Things could indeed go wrong. I drank my glass of wine slowly not wanting to buy another one for the whole night. After 80 minutes i decided for one more arrogant glass to celebrate a fine win. A game we dominated even though the score hadn't suggested we had.

What the heck happens? Toon concede with a huge bitter long throw about 2 minutes after the final whislte should have been blown. 2 minutes injury time? The ref decides to support the poor underdog and give him an extra 4 mins to try and get a goal. Oh my god he does as well! what a coincidence he blows the final whistle seconds after coventry have equalised.

Thankfully the story ends well. Even though newcastle had been bittered by a suspect referee they somehow scored and i enjoyed a third and final glass of wine. What was bitter though was it was 3.50 a glass of wine. Or 7.50 a bottle. If coventry hadn't scored a final last second goal i'd have been fine. The last second goal screwed me over. I could have saved money otherwise. If only i'd known...

If only i'd known most things which were due to happen.

Today i ended up in hospital after a phone call from the hospital with bad news. I ran into the hospital not knowing anything. The courageous fight continues. I don't know how the fight ends exactly but what bravery. What a damn good fight.

18 years on.

18 years on from another disaster.

No comments: